Date & Time
- Professor Jim Norton, FREng BEng CDir CITP CEng DEng LLD FIoD FBCS FIET FRSA
- Denis Lacroix, VP Reservation, Distribution, mid-and back office at Amadeus
- Michele McDonald, Contributing Writer, Air Transport World
Open source software is becoming mainstream IT. But do you really know what the term means in practice and why it is important for all companies, including those in commercial aviation?
The shift to open source software is one of the most important current trends in technology, yet it is surprisingly little discussed compared with other developments – including those which, ironically, have only been made possible by the adoption of open systems.
Open source can offer huge benefits, enabling faster innovation and reduced total cost of ownership. While moving from closed to open systems is no trivial task, unless businesses take this step, they risk being left behind as competitors take advantage of the new possibilities on offer.
These points were evident in a recent white paper written by Professor Jim Norton and sponsored by Amadeus IT Group. This webinar will look at the subject as it relates to commercial aviation. We discuss why open Source Software is gaining momentum and address specifically, three questions:
- What really is “open source”?
- What are some practical examples of open source solutions in the travel industry?
- Why is open source important for airlines?