Air Italy launched 6X-weekly Milan Malpensa-Toronto Pearson International Airport services on May 6. The seasonal services will operate until Oct. 25.

Toronto became the carrier’s fifth North American destination and is the third new service planned for 2019 after the April launch of Los Angeles and San Francisco (California) services.

Air Italy operates Airbus A330-200s to Toronto, configured with 24 flatbed seats in business and 228 seats in economy class.

Air Italy chief COO Rossen Dimitrov said: “There is enormous potential in extending our reach to Canada, thanks to its economic relevance, strong global relations and very large Italian expatriate community.”

Air Italy connects with seven key Italian cities via Milan Malpensa to Rome Fiumicino, Naples, Palermo, Catania, Lamezia Terme, Olbia and Cagliari.

In 2017, Qatar Airways acquired 49% of Air Italy—then known as Meridiana—leaving 51% to its previous sole shareholder Alisarda, an Italian holding company.

Air Italy’s fleet comprises five Airbus A330s and seven Boeing 737-800/MAX 8s.

Kurt Hofmann, hofmann.aviaiton@netway.at